Information for Landlords

Contact us if interested in participating in the the Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher Program.



HUD Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher Program is the federal government's major program for assisting very low-income individuals, families, elderly and the disabled to rent decent, safe, and sanitary housing in the private market.
This program is financed through federal funds received from the U.S. Department of Housing & Urban Development (HUD) and is available to anyone living in or wishing to live in Fond du Lac County, Wisconsin that meets the program requirements.
A contracted monthly assistance payment is paid on time and guaranteed.  The Housing Authority directly deposits the Housing Assistance Payment  (HAP) in the landlord's account by the third day of the month.  

There is minimal paperwork to be completed.   Landlords can use their own screening process and their own lease. The Housing Authority doesn't supply the lease between the landlord and tenant.

If the tenant's income changes and is less, their portion of the rent can be lowered and the Housing Authority's payment to the landlord may increase.  This could mean the entire amount of rent may be subsidized. 

If the tenant's income increases, their portion of the rent can be increased by the Housing Authroity  and the Housing Authority's payment to the landlord may decrease.  If tenant properly informs the Housing Authority of the income change, the tenant's portion is increased after the Housing Authority gives the tenant a 30 day notice of their portion increasing.

Since inspections are required, it helps you maintain your property.  Keeping the property well maintained helps ensure its resale value and makes it easier to rent it again if the tenant would decide to vacate.

The Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher Program is a popular program.  By accepting tenants with the voucher, your rental property becomes viable to a wider pool of tenants which improves marketability.
The Fond du Lac County Housing Authority certifies the household is income eligible for the program.  An applicant (tenant) applies on-line.  When the applicant's name is selected from the waiting list they are interviewed and they sign paperwork, provide documentation, etc.  The Fond du Lac County Housing Authority verifies qualification on the basis of citizenship or eligible immigrant status of family members, validation of social security cards/number information for all family members as required by HUD.

Once the applicant is considered eligible and as funding allows, the applicant will attend a group presentation (briefing) where they will have the program rules and process explained to them.  The tenant will be supplied with many documents.  They receive a copy of the voucher provided by the Housing Authority and a form called Request for Tenancy.  You should use the same screening methods that you use for all your prospective tenants.  It is important to remember the voucher participant has only been screened on eligibility criteria and has not been screened for suitability.  

To determine if the prospective tenant has a voucher issued by the Fond du Lac County Housing Authority; the tenant should supply  or show you a copy of the valid voucher.

If the voucher holder/tenant passes your screening criteria based on suitability, the landlord must complete forms to begin the process.  A form called, Request for Tenancy Approval should be supplied by the prospective tenant and  the landlord must complete this form.  The Request for Tenancy Approval form must be completed and returned  by either the tenant or landlord to our office as soon as possible.  This form helps the Housing Authority determine if the unit is affordable to the tenant.  If you have questions on how to properly complete the paper work, please contact the office.

The landlord and the voucher holder must complete and return the forms to the Fond du Lac County Housing Authority for review.  The Housing Authority will examine the rent amount suggested by the landlord to determine that the rent is comparable to rents for other similar units in the area.  The tenant cannot pay more than 40% of the adjusted monthly household income or the unit will  not qualify for the program.  If the Housing Authority determines that all the criteria are met, the information will be forwarded to the inspector.  An inspector will schedule and conduct the inspection of the unit.

All inspections are based on Housing Quality Standards (HQS) and standards adopted by the Fond du Lac County Housing Authority.  An inspection is not a code compliant inspection.  As the owner you should maintain the unit in accordance with HQS and standards adopted by the Housing Authority.  The Department of Housing & Urban Development establishes criteria for acceptable housing quality standards (HQS).  The HQS inspection is required before assistance can be administered.

If the unit passes inspection the Fond du Lac County Housing Authority will be able to administer assistance after the proper paperwork is completed by the tenant and landlord; i.e. leasing documents.

If the unit does not pass HQS inspection, you will receive an inspection repair letter or email.  If you agree to make the repairs, a follow up inspection will be scheduled within 30 days to ensure the repairs have been made.  After the repairs are completed, the landlord and tenant sign the leasing documents.

If you are unwilling or unable to make the repairs, the property will fail the HQS inspection and will be ineligible for the program.  

The Housing Authority is required to inspect the unit at least once a year.  The unit must pass the inspection prior to the annual renewal date of the contract to continue to be eligible for program assistance.  You may increase the rent annually, but the Housing Authority still needs to review the increase to make sure it is comparable to fair market rents and still fits into the program guidelines.

You have the same rights and responsibilities with a Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher participant/tenant as you do when renting to an non assisted tenant.
The unit needs to have appropriate and working sanitary facilities, cooking and food preparation areas, heating system, lights and electrical systems and water supply.

The inspector needs to have access to all areas of the unit including the mechanicals.  If the water heater, furnace or electrical panels are located outside the unit, we need to have access to those areas during the inspection. 

Common problems that are found at a HQS inspection are:  missing or non functioning smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors, inoperable bathroom fans or no ventilation, lack of or non-securely supported handrails installed for stairways with 4 or more risers.  Handrails must be the length of the stairways.  Rails are required for porches, decks or steps that are over 30 inches from the ground.

Doors and windows must be weather-tight so there are no gaps that let air in.  Windows must be free of cracks or breaks.  Windows that are designed to open must have the ability to do so.  Doors and windows must lock securely.

Another very important issue is chipping and peeling paint in a property built before 1979 where a child under 6 resides.  Any chipping or peeling paint will cause the property to fail.

The painted area needs to be stabilized.  If the damaged areas is a small component and it exceeds 10% of the surface / or an exterior area of more than 20 square feet, lead safe work practices must be used and clearance testing must be done.  If you need more information about these issues you may obtain them by contacting us or by using the EPA website at
You may charge the same amount that you would normally charge for a non subsidized tenant. 
The tenant is responsible for the full amount of the security deposit.  At no time is the Fond du Lac County Housing Authority responsible for the security deposit.  The tenant may receive assistance from other sources such as charitable and non profit organizations.
Acceptable dwellings are considered single-family homes, condominiums, duplexes, apartments, mobile or manufactured and town homes.  Mobile homes must be tied down.  A room in someone's house or a boarding home are not acceptable.
For a landlord to receive the rental assistance payment (HAP) from the Fond du Lac County Housing Authority, the dwelling must be located within Fond du Lac County, WI.  Eligible voucher participants that desire to lease outside of Fond du Lac County, WI would need to contact the Fond du Lac County Housing Authority to see if they can be "ported" or transferred to the Housing Authority in the county they are interested in renting.
The Fond du Lac County Housing Authority deposits the payment into the landlords bank account on the third day of the month.  This is a safe convenient way to receive payments. Landlords can not charge the Housing Authority or the tenant late fees if the Housing Assistance Payment (HAP) is not received in a timely manner.
If you give the tenant a written notice (5 day, 14 day or 28 day), a copy should also be forwarded to our office.  When the Fond du Lac County Housing Authority receives a written notice, we will promptly follow up with your tenant.  Any evictable offense is also a violation of the Section 8 Program.  We want your renter to be successful in your property.  Please keep the Housing Authority aware of any issues.
The Housing Authority sends a request for increase form to the landlord 90 days prior to the tenant's annual re-examination date.  The Housing Authority needs this form back at least 60 days prior to the effective date.  Tenants must be notified from the landlord 60 days prior to the effective date of  the rent increase.  Rent increases are subject to rent reasonableness.  You cannot charge the tenant the new rent amount until our office approves it.
The Fond du Lac County Housing Authority often receives phone calls regarding problems between tenants and landlords.  To avoid problems, it is important that landlords know their rights and responsibilities.

The Fond du Lac County Housing Authority cannot give advice regarding these issues.  A lease is a legal and binding document between the landlord and tenant.  The landlord should resolve the issue as if they were renting to a non voucher holder.  If you have a legal question, you should contact an attorney.

If you are looking for basic information, we recommend you contact the Department of Consumer Protection.  You may also reference the following link that may be helpful and outlines subjects such as: things you should know before renting, responsibilities of the landlord and tenant, terminating a tenancy, eviction, tenant rights, etc.

There are many misconceptions when it comes to the rights and responsibilities of landlords and tenants.  It is important for you to have accurate information when making decisions and it is worth the time and effort to be an informed landlord or tenant.  
Please contact our office.  You will need to fill out a W-9 form and the Direct Deposit form.  We can review the Housing Assistance Payments contract with you.