Yes.  Even if you can prove that you need housing, the Housing Authority is required by federal law and Housing Authority policies/regulations to refuse assistance if you do not qualify.
Yes.  Units are inspected at least once a year.  Inspections generally focus on structural defects, appliances, plumbing, and overall appearance.  In addition, inspectors check to ensure the tenants are maintaining a clean, safe and sanitary condition of the unit.
No.  We are required to provide assistance to families on the waiting list according to our application procedures.
The Housing Authority has a local preference to applicants who live or work within Fond du Lac County, WI, households applying from outside of the county should expect longer wait periods.
Yes.  The tenant and landlord will sign a lease for the same period as the Housing Assistance Payments contract the landlord signs with the Housing Authority.    The Housing Authority will review the landlord's lease to make sure it complies with program guidelines.  The Housing Authority does create and provide leases for the landlord or tenant.
Once a voucher is issued, a participant has 60 days to find a suitable unit before the voucher expires.  However, under certain situations, the 60 day period can be extended.
The Housing Authority pays your rental assistance to the landlord by the 3rd of each month.  You pay your share of the rent each month directly to the landlord.  Failure to pay your rent as required by the lease agreement can lead to termination of your rental assistance.
Before you can move out of the unit, you must fulfill the tenant obligations under your current lease.  This includes providing your landlord with proper written notice.  You must also notify the Housing Authority.  If you want to move under the program, the Housing Authority must issue you a new voucher.  
You will notify your landlord immediately if your unit is in need of repair. If violations are found at the time of Housing Authority inspection the landlord is given a specific number of days to correct the cited issue.  If there is a health and safety issue, the repair must be fixed within 24 hours.
The tenant or landlord must provide a copy of the written notice to the Housing Authority.  If the tenant is in good standing and has been receiving assistance for more than one year, the Housing Authority can assist with a new unit.  The tenant needs to meet with Housing Authority staff.  The tenant will be issued a new voucher if they are in good standing.  If the tenant is not in good standing, the file will be closed (termination of assistance).   
Whenever your income changes or you have a change in family composition (persons moving in or out of your household) you are required to report to the Housing Authority the same month that it occurred.  The Housing Authority will determine if and when a change in your portion of the rent is required.
Pet policies are determined by the landlord/property owner and should be detailed in your lease.
An eligible family that has been issued a Housing Choice Voucher may use the voucher to lease a unit anywhere in the United States where there is a housing agency operating the Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher Program.  In order to "port out" the family must reside a minimum of one year in Fond du Lac County prior to being issued a "port out" voucher.  

The Fond du Lac County Housing Authority Housing Choice Voucher Program allows for families with a voucher from another Housing Authority to transfer their voucher to our agency.  This process is called "porting in" to Fond du Lac County Housing Authority.  

The process of transferring a voucher from one agency to another varies, depending on a number of factors.